Tuesday, September 15, 2009
Potty Training...HELP
I have several things that I have not posted yet and hope to get to them soon. Right now, however, we are having trouble with Mila and potty training. She absolutely refuses to use the potty and claims she wants to wear "diapers the rest of her life". Any helpful hints would be greatly appreciated. She will sit on the potty but she won't do anything in it. She is to the point where she comes up to us and says "You have to change my diaper!", and the lays down on the ground. I really want to get her potty trained but I don't know what to do. Thanks to anyone who can offer any tips.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Wow! For a second I thought I was reading my own blog! My 3 year old does, or did, the exact same thing. She'd tell me that she was happy wearing diapers and never wanted panties, and would DEMAND to have her diaper changed when it was dirty. I got fed up with it and though she always proclaimed she did not want to use the potty, I stuck her in panties one morning and told her her diapers were all gone. The first day, I put her on the potty every hour, sometimes she'd pee sometimes she wouldn't. We had about 6 accidents that first day. The next day was about the same, but by the third day I could put her on every 2 hours and she'd go. It's been a week and she does still have about 2 or 3 accidents a day, but they're little ones that she catches herself and runs to the potty.
I don't know if that helps, but it worked with my little one who sounds JUST like yours.
And she hasn't asked for a diaper since the first day.
Until these stubborn little creatures choose to cooperate they will not. They know they are in control of this situation and love that control !! They stick with the known too.
I tend to discuss it with them and tell them that I would like them to wear panties because... and ask them when they think they would be ready. Lilly said she would do it when she was 4.Yuck I know, but it was a power struggle with her.Since she had set the date, she was ready to cooperate. Maybe you could say "which day of the week or which month would she will be willing to do it?" They can be extremely cute and extremely manipulative.. good luck, but if you are losing in this situation you need to step back and relook both of your corners... You want a battle you can win are a parent.
From what I've read & experienced- when they are in one of the negative stages of toddlerhood, it's too much of a power struggle and better to just leave it alone. When they are ready, they are ready & will do it. It sucks changing diapers until then (this I REALLY know), but a lot less stressful on parent & child, and a whole lot easier on the "training" when they are ready.
Sam took a whole year from the time he could actullay do something on the toilet to the time he chose to do it on the toilet all the time. We kept bribing and scolding and pushing until we just gave up. That's when he did it on his own. It was annoying, expensive, and frustrating, but all he really needeed from us was sincere appreciation for the progress he'd made and no pressure to perform.
Post a Comment